Skip to main content

Study Skills, week 3, video task

 

I never really learned how to study. I would try to take the information in. I would reread and rewrite key points so I wouldn’t forget them. Active recall.

Quizzing meaning active recall and testing yourself using flash cards, Cornell notes, tagged notes, remnote-flash card app helps to study faster.

Spacing – spaced repetition, spread out your time overtime, timetables, boxes, repetition software.

Mixing – altering between different options making connections.

Previously when I read and write I would usually take longer to read every part to make sure I didn’t miss any information now learning how to scan I can do this a faster way Pseudo skimming scanning paragraph by paragraph quickly. Learning to read backwards to see is the information is relevant to use and learning to think of questions while reading. Take notes of the formatting as usually they would be important. Write notes straight after reading recall what you can remember.

 

The longer you wait to review study the more likely you will forget.

6 Proven Study Tips to Retain Information

Teach someone else. We discussed this in a previous blog, but it's worth repeating. 

Know when you're most alert and attentive. Your mind is better focused during certain times of the day. 

Focus on one topic at a time.

Pause.

Write it down. 

Make it interesting

Use your brain you must put more effort more retention.


My current feelings about reading & writing:

Feeling nervous and excited about the writing and the reading. 

It can be difficult to do but when you do it you feel great afterwards. I am delighted to be back studying and learning new things. Reading and writing will become easier the more I do.

Questions I have about the concept of active reading: Active meaning does it mean just one thing? Reading something with a determination to understand and evaluate it for its relevance to your need. Re-reading isn’t effective enough as underlining or highlighting key words. Active reading strategies meaning pulling key information from source.

SQ4R- survey, question, read, review, reflect.

My previous experiences with the concept of media literacy:

My experiences with media literacy move beyond the traditional formats of written and print text and moves to examining more contemporary sources. My experience of media literacy includes but are not limited to television, video games, photographs, and audio messages.

Applications media literacy – Cornell notes, toggled notes, flash cards, remnote.

Deconstructing TV and how to deconstruct media? Ask questions what is the text and sub text? What does it mean what audience is it for?

Questions like why the bank is offering 5% off for loans.

Own opinions who is the message for? For young people or for business people etc.

Reconstruct like banks offering discounted money on loans when there actually benefitting from this more.

More applications I think for media literacy other than the discussed video:

 Toontasitc, game star mechanic, Evernote, math planet, storyLines for schools.


Referencing: 

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3



 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Production Process, Week 5, Video task

  My thoughts on production process... To me design thinking is a philosophy and a set of tools to help you solve problems creatively. It is also a production process that helps you to organise effectively. It can be loosely divided into three stages these are Pre-production, Production and Post-production. I think it is important to be aware and learn about design thinking and various stages associated with design thinking. In the YouTube video by Aj & Smart by Johnathan Courtney CEO at AJ & Smart he shared that if you’re going to working with anything got to do with design thinking, is innovation taking the philosophy of design thinking and learning using something like the design sprint. As a recipe to run design thinking. I think digital media products that could apply design thinking to would be, films, documentaries, podcasts, vlogs.   Aj & Smart by Johnathan What takes place in the three stages of Production is first Pre-production, This is where ...

Rewrite #1, Week 6

  Free Pixabay Photo Original Blog Post In today's blog, I will talk about my understanding of this paper by Ernest Balajthy "Wiley International Literacy Association" Feb 1984.  In my reading, I found that the main focus of this paper was how to help you study better. S ome practices use the term known as spaced practice or distributed practice. By “ spacing” learning activities out over time for example 1 to 2 hours every other day, or at least once per week, rather than a 12-hour marathon cramming in study sessions, this way you will be able to learn more information and retain it longer. Undoubtedly, the spaced repetition method  is far better than cramming everything in a single study session. That said it is good to note that, manually planning these repetitions can be quite overwhelming.  Spacing allows you to have the opportunity to think and analyze the information critically and widen the viewpoint linked to helping you evaluate critically. I think ...

Active Reading, week 3, Reading task

Image reference Spaced practice or spaced repetition. WILEY INTERNATIONAL LITERACY ASSOCIATION. Date paper was written: February 1984   My understanding of the topic: This is some practices known as spaced practice or distributed practice. By “ spacing” learning activities out over time  for example, 1 to 2 hours every other day, or at least once per week, rather than a 12-hour marathon cramming session, you will be able to learn more information and retain it longer. Undoubtedly, the spaced repetition method  is far better than cramming everything in a single study session . That said it is good to note that, manually planning these repetitions can be quite overwhelming. Retention is automatic with comprehension and can be predicted by analyzing the text structure, others suggest by interacting factors meaning learning directly and indirectly is a better way to study. Using student-constructed questions to encourage active reading.   Learners have...