Skip to main content

Reading Task, Week 10

free pixabay photo


Hi welcome back to my blog.

Today I will talk about how the peer review and the rewriting experience has gone over the semester. I have learned from the peer review task that I should add a bibliography at the end of every blog and add in text citations. I also need to start talking about the experience I have on the topic and how I feel about the topic which I have started to do in my recent blogs and plan to change on my previous blogs. I feel that my writing and reading skills have improved since my first feedback and even more since I got more feedback from other peers. I have received some great feedback overall to help me improve my blogs and know where I can make content easier and more enjoyable to read.

Concise writing goal is to use the most effective words. To use the stronger words not always fewer. To get to the main point of the topic. (Arts, 2021)

Too wordy sentences such as “It is the governor who signs or vetoes bills. – 9 words.

Concise sentence such as “The governor signs or vetoes bills. – 6 words.

This shows an example of the use of irrelevant words.

Expressions can be rhetorically effective for emphasis in some situations, but overuse or unnecessary use of expletive constructions creates wordy prose.

Take the following example: "It is imperative that we find a solution." The same meaning could be expressed with this more succinct wording: "We must find a solution". But using the expletive construction allows the writer to emphasize the urgency of the situation by placing the word imperative near the beginning of the sentence, so the version with the expletive may be preferable. This allows you to give feedback in a more concise way and to let you know that the matter is a vital importance or crucial. (Arts, purdue online writing lab, 2021)

Active voice is used for most non-scientific writing. Using active voice for many of your sentences makes the meaning clear for readers, it keeps the sentences from becoming too complicated or wordy. Such as scientific writing uses passive voice and can cloud the meaning of your sentences.

Examples, the brakes were slammed on by her as the car sped downhill - this is an example of a passive voice.

She slammed on the brakes as the car sped downhill – this is an example of an active voice sentence because the subject performs action. (Arts, purdue online writing lab, 2021)

I learned some good points that helped me when doing peer feedback. To ask yourself

what is the main point of the blog, does the essay flow well? Is any section unclear, is there not enough or too much evidence, Are the ideas original, is it too long or too short. Does it lack focus, could they expand or elaborate more on this idea, is it vague or confusing do you understand what it means, does it need better or more reliable sources, Is the style or tone inappropriate, Is the introduction or conclusion confusing in any way, did they cite correctly. Have they got too many errors? (Jared, 2018)

Since doing the feedback and receiving feedback I have learned that I notice from other blogs, what I must do if I’m critical on someone’s blog pointing out what id like to see, that I should have what I am looking for on my blogs.

Bibliography

Arts, C. o. (2021). purdue online writing lab. Retrieved from Owl:  https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/academic_writing/conciseness/avoid_common_pitfalls.html

Arts, C. o. (2021). purdue online writing lab. Retrieved from Owl:  https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/academic_writing/active_and_passive_voice/active_versus_passive_voice.html

Arts, C. o. (2021). Purdue Online Writing Lab. Retrieved from Owl:  https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/academic_writing/conciseness/index.html

Jared. (2018, May 28). 15 Types of Essay Feedback and How to Address It. Retrieved from Kibin:  https://www.kibin.com/essay-writing-blog/types-essay-feedback-address/

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Production Process, Week 5, Video task

  My thoughts on production process... To me design thinking is a philosophy and a set of tools to help you solve problems creatively. It is also a production process that helps you to organise effectively. It can be loosely divided into three stages these are Pre-production, Production and Post-production. I think it is important to be aware and learn about design thinking and various stages associated with design thinking. In the YouTube video by Aj & Smart by Johnathan Courtney CEO at AJ & Smart he shared that if you’re going to working with anything got to do with design thinking, is innovation taking the philosophy of design thinking and learning using something like the design sprint. As a recipe to run design thinking. I think digital media products that could apply design thinking to would be, films, documentaries, podcasts, vlogs.   Aj & Smart by Johnathan What takes place in the three stages of Production is first Pre-production, This is where ...

Rewrite #1, Week 6

  Free Pixabay Photo Original Blog Post In today's blog, I will talk about my understanding of this paper by Ernest Balajthy "Wiley International Literacy Association" Feb 1984.  In my reading, I found that the main focus of this paper was how to help you study better. S ome practices use the term known as spaced practice or distributed practice. By “ spacing” learning activities out over time for example 1 to 2 hours every other day, or at least once per week, rather than a 12-hour marathon cramming in study sessions, this way you will be able to learn more information and retain it longer. Undoubtedly, the spaced repetition method  is far better than cramming everything in a single study session. That said it is good to note that, manually planning these repetitions can be quite overwhelming.  Spacing allows you to have the opportunity to think and analyze the information critically and widen the viewpoint linked to helping you evaluate critically. I think ...

Active Reading, week 3, Reading task

Image reference Spaced practice or spaced repetition. WILEY INTERNATIONAL LITERACY ASSOCIATION. Date paper was written: February 1984   My understanding of the topic: This is some practices known as spaced practice or distributed practice. By “ spacing” learning activities out over time  for example, 1 to 2 hours every other day, or at least once per week, rather than a 12-hour marathon cramming session, you will be able to learn more information and retain it longer. Undoubtedly, the spaced repetition method  is far better than cramming everything in a single study session . That said it is good to note that, manually planning these repetitions can be quite overwhelming. Retention is automatic with comprehension and can be predicted by analyzing the text structure, others suggest by interacting factors meaning learning directly and indirectly is a better way to study. Using student-constructed questions to encourage active reading.   Learners have...