Skip to main content

Rewrite #1, Week 6

 

Original Blog Post

In today's blog, I will talk about my understanding of this paper by Ernest Balajthy "Wiley International Literacy Association" Feb 1984. 

In my reading, I found that the main focus of this paper was how to help you study better. Some practices use the term known as spaced practice or distributed practice.

By “spacing” learning activities out over time for example 1 to 2 hours every other day, or at least once per week, rather than a 12-hour marathon cramming in study sessions, this way you will be able to learn more information and retain it longer. Undoubtedly, the spaced repetition method is far better than cramming everything in a single study session. That said it is good to note that, manually planning these repetitions can be quite overwhelming. 

Spacing allows you to have the opportunity to think and analyze the information critically and widen the viewpoint linked to helping you evaluate critically. I think this paper was aimed at teachers, the reading specialist supports, supplements, and extends classroom teaching, and works collaboratively to implement a quality reading program that is research-based and meets the needs of students.

The most important information in the reading was to examine the text more closely to test your understanding and use self-questioning teaching strategies to help you learn faster, give yourself a pop quiz!

Useful facts to note down when reading would be:

  1. List who, what, where, when, list, show, tell, write, identify and source all your information.
  2. Understanding- what is the cause-effect, compare, contrast, distinguish, explain, show how, why?
  3. Analysis understands the parts -analyze, categorize, classify, distinguish, compare, contrast.
  4. Synthesis understands the whole -create, makeup, suggest, infer.
  5. Evaluation- decide, select, evaluate, judge, what do you think, what would you do if questions.


From writing this blog I have learned not all people learn the same way. I think everyone should try and see if any of the study tips work for them and use them all if they do. I don’t understand why they think it’s a better option to scan rather than to be able to take in all the information they want you to take In the main information so you don’t get overloaded with the information.
The most useful aspect of this was different strategies for studying which included, using self-questioning, sentence analysis, student discussions, and group competition. The most challenging part of this reading was I found it hard to pull the most important details on concepts from the pages. I applied what I learned from the first two readings when tackling the third by recognizing when I see something I’ve read before then that it registers and I take note because it is important information and to I can see when I don’t understand something and I can highlight and remind myself for later. In conclusion, I found this reading really interesting and an effective way to learn. Thank you for reading my blog.

-Kelly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Production Process, Week 5, Video task

  My thoughts on production process... To me design thinking is a philosophy and a set of tools to help you solve problems creatively. It is also a production process that helps you to organise effectively. It can be loosely divided into three stages these are Pre-production, Production and Post-production. I think it is important to be aware and learn about design thinking and various stages associated with design thinking. In the YouTube video by Aj & Smart by Johnathan Courtney CEO at AJ & Smart he shared that if you’re going to working with anything got to do with design thinking, is innovation taking the philosophy of design thinking and learning using something like the design sprint. As a recipe to run design thinking. I think digital media products that could apply design thinking to would be, films, documentaries, podcasts, vlogs.   Aj & Smart by Johnathan What takes place in the three stages of Production is first Pre-production, This is where ...

Active Reading, week 3, Reading task

Image reference Spaced practice or spaced repetition. WILEY INTERNATIONAL LITERACY ASSOCIATION. Date paper was written: February 1984   My understanding of the topic: This is some practices known as spaced practice or distributed practice. By “ spacing” learning activities out over time  for example, 1 to 2 hours every other day, or at least once per week, rather than a 12-hour marathon cramming session, you will be able to learn more information and retain it longer. Undoubtedly, the spaced repetition method  is far better than cramming everything in a single study session . That said it is good to note that, manually planning these repetitions can be quite overwhelming. Retention is automatic with comprehension and can be predicted by analyzing the text structure, others suggest by interacting factors meaning learning directly and indirectly is a better way to study. Using student-constructed questions to encourage active reading.   Learners have...